Primary (Ages 7 - 9)
Primary / Preparatory Teacher & Headteacher of the Junior School
BA, Mont. Dip. Adv 3-12
Miss Sylvia is both Primary and Preparatory directress and Head Teacher at the Rainbow Montessori Junior School. Sylvia studied for her Montessori 2 ½ to 6 at St Nicholas London before going back to her native Austria and completing her Montessori Education with a 6-12 Montessori certificate in and a BA in Education. Alongside all of her qualifications Sylvia also has 14 years of experience teaching Montessori.
Primary / Preparatory Teacher
Mont. Dip. Adv 3-12
Miss Naveed trained at the prestigious AMI affiliate, Washington Montessori Institute, Maryland. Upon graduating with her advanced Montessori Diploma, Miss Naveed taught in the U.S before before joining Rainbow. Miss Naveed has over fourteen years teaching experience- several of them here at Rainbow, making her an incredibly experienced and knowledgeable Montessori teacher!
Primary Location of Class
The Primary Classroom was recently redeveloped from two rooms, to create one huge airy space with all the original character of the Victorian building. The room boasts big sash windows overlooking the picturesque and leafy Woodchurch Road. This vast room with its spectrum of pastel coloured walls and natural light provides a perfect environment for Primary children to learn and develop.
- Use of advanced Montessori materials developing concrete understanding of more sophisticated concepts.
- Greater development of abstract concepts and materials.
- Memorisation skills, such as times tables and more difficult spellings using Montessori materials, relating to singular and plural, homophones, masculine and feminine.
- Gradual move away from heavy reliance on materials as the child is more confident in their abstract knowledge in many areas.
- Using work books to extend and consolidate knowledge.
- Using targeted materials to focus on key areas of learning and development of more independent working patterns.